Saturday, September 27, 2014

Thieves use Zillow to con unsuspecting buyers and renters, hear about this need to know info


About four months ago, I got a call from a renter who was asking when he could move into a house that I had listed and sold in Plano Texas.  I didn't quite understand what he was asking as I had sold the house and it was never for rent.  He had responded to an online Zillow add that showed my listing.  Some con-man had copied my listings information and said the house was for rent.  The prospective tenant was told to mail the $1200 deposit to an out of town landlord.  Needless to say, the out of town landlord was a hoax and the guy on the phone had lost $1200. Anyone can get a Zillow account and start posting anything they want on Zillow.  This is also true of many many other websites including Trulia, Craigslist etc.  If you really want to be protected when you need a home, you need to be calling a Realtor. 


No comments: